Monday, October 4, 2010

Allergic to Apples!?!?!?

So Decklyn's been dealing with hives on and off since the start of the school year. A week or so ago he started getting them everyday. Last week he hadn't had them at all during the day and then ended up eating two apples for a snack and within a short time started getting hives that ran down his arms, on his chest, back and his neck. So we have not started experimenting with apples to see if he's really allergic to them. Since last Tuesday he has not had any hives and we've eliminated apples from his diet. So we'll go a few weeks without and see what happens when we try raw apples without skins, as I heard the skin is the worst part for the type of allergy I think he has (cross-reaction birch pollen/apple allergy). Some sites I looked at stated not eating the skin may be helpful, so we'll experiment with that first. I hate to not let him eat apples all together- especially since apples have been so helpful in keeping him regular. I don't need to deal with the constipation issues that he had when he was younger again. We'll just keeping learning about this allergy and see what we can do to help him avoid the hives. Maybe seeing an allergy specialist will be in our future.

Here are some picture of Decklyn's hives that he's been dealing with for the last month and a half. I can't help but feel sorry for the little guy. These pictures don't even show how painful they really look and sometimes are.






No comments:

Post a Comment